Monday 18 July 2011

The Deceitful Red Chesterfield

While browsing through several online sofa catalogues, I came across the Buckingham Chesterfield sofa yesterday. It was a curvy looking couch, with buttoned leather and slashed arms. The color on display was a deep red, which was accentuated by the velvety fabric the sofa was covered in. My initial reaction upon seeing that sofa was of instant attraction. I was in love.

But like a sane buyer and on the ardent insistence of my husband I decided to order a fabric swatch first, before making my purchase. I have to admit I was a little miffed. But when the sample came in my mail in a couple of days, I was in for a total surprise. The red I was set on buying was so bright and so shiny that it looked nothing like what it had in the pictures. I was in shock. After much deliberation and a broken heart, I decided to keep looking, as my quest for the perfect red sofa was not over.
If you are also looking into buying a sofa in bright and vibrant color, my suggestion to you would be to order a sample of your color choice first. Good photography and strategically place lighting can elevate any color to look better than it is. However, a swatch is the only way you can actually determine the true worth of a color. Moreover, velvet is tricky material. It does not do many colors justice. So keep that in mind before you buy your couch in any color.

Colors can be deceiving on the Internet. Always remember this handy tip before you do any kind of online furniture shopping, be it sofas, curtains, carpets or bed sheets. Trust me, you will save yourself a lot of effort and, in some cases, a lot of grief.